[wplug] Nvidia vs. ????

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Wed Sep 22 05:50:45 EDT 2004

As I stated earlier, the 2.6.x kernel that comes with FC2 has kernel
options set that are not compatible with the NVIDIA proprietary
drivers.  This was as of May 2004, when FC2 was released.  I have yet to
attempt an update to my NVIDIA drivers since then.  I am not sure if
they have released a driver set that would be compatible with the stock
kernel of FC2.  Perhaps this is the problem you are experiencing.

Here are a few links for FC2/NVIDIA related issues:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30399&page=1&pp=15

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc2.shtml#nvidia

That last one is someones blog-type page on their experiences getting
NVIDIA drivers working with FC2.  It says :

"As of 30 June 2004, the Nvidia 1.0-6106 has
support for 4kstack kernels. Hence these problems most likely
are resolved."

So perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree?

One other thing I recall giving me problems was that you need "Assign
IRQ for VGA" enabled in your BIOS for things to work properly.  Since
you replaced your mobo, I'd check that as well.

HTH

-- Carl