[wplug] SOUND!

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 21:12:52 EDT 2004

ALSA on 2.6 has 'just worked' on every sound card I've tried to use in the last
year or so, using Fedora Core 1 and 2.  I even have a professional M-Audio card
hooked into one of my PC's and it runs beautifully.

The ESD thing is tricky- ESD is a broker for your /dev/dsp and tries to
intercept stuff, but some times latency is really bad or programs think the
device is occupied.  For games you sometimes have to turn it off- otherwise it
should be transparent to most of your sound applications; ditto for artsd in KDE
apps.

I have only one real gripe, and it's not Linux's fault- mp3 can't work out of
the box for a truly free distribution because of patent concerns with
Fraunhofer.

Bryon