[wplug] SOUND!

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Sep 18 20:25:35 EDT 2004

A recurring theme at the installfest today was that NOBODY COULD GET THEIR
SOUND TO WORK!  In fact, 75% of those surveyed had sound problems.  Mine
are intolerable (for those of you helping me at the installfest -- no, the
DVD player still does not work) and I would like to fix them.

The problem is, the documentation on TLDP is out of date -- it emphasizes
configuring ISA devices -- and other documentation is at best "limited in
scope."  In particular, the application I'm curious about - the
"enlightened sound daemon" - seems to have scarcely any docs at all!
e.g.:
http://www.fifi.org/doc/esound-common/html/introduction.html
My impression is that this program is supposed to sit on /dev/dsp and
accept connections from programs that want to play sound.  The problem,
there's no documentation telling how to get EsounD and these various
'client' programs to hook up, and when i try to, for example, play a DVD,
it says that the device is in use and can't play sound.  Everything is
just a big broken-fest, undocumented and nonfunctional.  It's very
disillusioning and my dreams of someday replacing my windows machine with
some magical distribution that works are fading away.  Let's face it --
playing sound is a pretty fundamental feature of modern PCs.

Barring any further information from the local list, can anyone suggest
who I should email next?  ESounD doesn't seem to have a support list, alsa
is just the 'driver' portion, and debian or gnome just seem too distant
from my project.  But I must admit, I'm going to probably have to take
this to the Debian list because I am out of steam.

-Brandon