[wplug] apt-get remove?

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 14 11:49:37 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 03:30:54AM -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I just installed the sourceforge project "kuickshow" on Debian Testing
> release ("Sarge").  I did this by entering "apt get install kuickshow".
>
> I ran it, and it gave lots of warning messages and kept erroring.  So I
> thought I would remove it.  I tried this by saying "apt-get remove
> kuickshow"
>
> Except that it told me it would remove three packages, including one
> called 'kde', which didn't sound right at all, and (even more strangely)
> that it would UPGRADE some 20 packages.

If you want to just remove a package that nothing else depends on,
you can do
    % dpkg --purge kuickshow

It's also helpful to use the "-s" flag to apt-get:
    % apt-get -s remove something-potentially-important
to see what other dependent packages would get removed, without
actually doing it.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u