[wplug] Running Windows inside Linux

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon Sep 6 15:18:02 EDT 2004

I just got hired by PAVCS (PA Virtual Charter School), and as can be
expected, they use MS Windows/IE/Outlook/Office.  They will be providing
me with a laptop to use, but it could take as much as 3 weeks to get to
me.  In the meanwhile, I need to use my own computer, running Debian
Linux.  It is a dual boot with Win98, but as most (all?) people on this
list I would prefer to stay in Linux.

OK, so here is my problem.  I need to access the "Online School" which
is a web app using Flash and it seems to make an ActiveX call.  I can
use Firefox to access the site, but can't log-in.  The "typing" icon
won't show up.  I tried using Wine, with the IE dual boot, but that does
not seem to work to well either.

Does anyone have any Ideas for running Windows inside Linux?  Or at
least running IE with Flash and ActiveX inside Linux?  Or maybe a why to
run ActiveX calls while inside Linux?  I know I can use Bochs, but as
far as I can remember, I have to make an ISO image of the Windows
partition, and I do not have enough HD space for that.  As I mentioned,
Wine does not seem to be able to handle it properly.

--Boy, I wish I know why people insite on making "web apps" that require
a special OS -- Just does not make any sense to me.