[wplug] Seeking advice (possibly OT)

cdemarco at fastmail.fm cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 27 09:40:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:32:07AM -0400, Bryon Gill wrote:

> Anecdotally,  I've heard that    thinkpads and Toshiba laptops  have
> better support than most  for this  than the  makers of my  last two
> notebooks, Dell and HP.

If you can afford one, a Thinkpad is an excellent investment.  I can't
speak to the warranty support Stateside, but here in Malaysia I've had
tons of good support on my T23.

FWIW,  apm  in the   early 2.6  series   worked perfectly  well on  my
otherwise-crap Dell (C-series, late 2003)  laptop, and 2.4 works great
on my T23.

What *does* suck about my ThinkPad is the lid hinge  joint - the build
is rock-solid everywhere else, but around its first birthday the joint
got  loose enough that the  slightest pressure would  cause the pin to
disengage from  the recessed "sleep"  button, toggling  the sleep/wake
state multiple times whenever the  system was moved.  My solution  was
to disable the button in BIOS and file the pin off  the lid.  Moral of
the story -  physical problems  can  be worse than software  problems,
particularly in such an abused item as a  laprop.  But in general, the
ThinkPad is  built  ruggeder than most.  The  T40  has air  cushioning
around the  HDD and a orientation-sensor  (mercury?)  which spins down
the  disk  if it's too-far  inverted.   The X40  is a svelte  and sexy
featherweight, whereas the T40  is a tank  reminescent of the old PS/2
mechanical-relay keyboards.

I'm drooling all   over the place, but  not  over porn.  My  wife must
think I'm defective.

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
Christopher DeMarco <cdemarco at fastmail.fm>