[wplug] Seeking advice (possibly OT)

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 09:32:07 EDT 2004

The #1 thing that doesn't work on modern laptops with linux is power management.
If you want a hassle-free experience and suspend-to-ram/suspend-to-disk is
important to you, be sure to do some research on the model you want.  I have an
old thinkpad that suspends properly using apm, but I haven't had a laptop since
that one that suspends properly under linux.  Modern laptops only support ACPI
which is not supported well for a variety of reasons.

So if you don't mind powering down and booting up a lot, nevermind, but if you
want to be able to suspend for a few hours then pick up where you left off,
you'll have to do some research.

Anecdotally, I've heard that thinkpads and Toshiba laptops
have better support than most for this than the makers of my last two notebooks,
Dell and HP.

Bryguy