[wplug] RPM question - How to make it use a newer lib file thanit's expecting

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Oct 15 10:33:18 EDT 2004

Philip Reiche wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm running redhat enterprise linux
> "AS" which I picked up very cheaply via edu discounts.
> While I'm a bit tied up tonight with home-ownerish chores, I'll post
> back with the results of whichever tactic I finally choose.
> I'm leaning towards building from source at this point since the whole
> point of this exercise is skill building.

Probably a good choice.

>  The older 0.9.6 ssl lib has some security bugs and I'd like to avoid
> using that if I can. That said, Know offhand where I would look for the
> compatability package?

Most likely Redhat has packages for RHAS available through up2date.  Try
running 'up2date openssl096' with root privileges.

However, if you are concerned about using the openssl library that is
out of date, then you certainly shouldn't be using a package that
requires it.  Either find a newer package that doesn't require the older
openssl or build it from source, as you mentioned before.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>