[wplug] RPM question - How to make it use a newer lib file thanit's expecting

Philip Reiche Phillip.Reiche at pl.netl.doe.gov
Thu Oct 14 19:03:59 EDT 2004

Hi,
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm running redhat enterprise linux
"AS" which I picked up very cheaply via edu discounts.
While I'm a bit tied up tonight with home-ownerish chores, I'll post
back with the results of whichever tactic I finally choose.
I'm leaning towards building from source at this point since the whole
point of this exercise is skill building.

 The older 0.9.6 ssl lib has some security bugs and I'd like to avoid
using that if I can. That said, Know offhand where I would look for the
compatability package?

Anyway, I'll post my results when I can get back to this.

Thanks again!

Phil

Philip Reiche wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm attempting to install mysql v5.0 at home. Rpm barfs and spits out
> warning that it can't find libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and libssl.so.0.9.6. I
> checked /lib and the reason for this is I already have the new and
> improved rev 0.9.7a of both. Digging through the fine manual, paging
> through rpm.org, and asking our friend google so far reveals no way
> around this, other than stripping out the 0.9.7 packages, installing
the
> older 0.9.6, installing mysql, and then upgrading to 0.9.7 again. Or I
> could just just use the --nodeps switch but that seems like asking for
> trouble down the road when things aren't linked right.  This seems
like
> something RPM should be able to figure out on it's own, but darned if
> can find the switch to make it do it.
>
> Beth Lynn suggests  ln -s newlibfile olderlibfilenam, and I'll try
that
> when I get home tonight. I expect to see checksum errors when I do
this,
> but it's worth a shot.
>
> Any other suggestions, in case this doesn't work?
>
> Phil

I know that RedHat provides an 'openssl096' package that allows the
0.9.6 libraries to coexist with the more up to date libraries on your
system.  I don't know what distro you are using, but it might also have
this package for this very purpose.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>