[wplug] Problems with LILO

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 28 03:38:40 EST 2004

> I'm having some problems with LILO on my sons laptop and wonder if
> anyone knows what I can do to fix it.  It has XP Home and the Knoppix
> install of Debian on it and LILO will let you boot into linux but not
> into XP.  When I  pick XP at the menu the system just stops.  Here is
> some background and some details:
>
> - Its a Dell Inspiron 8200 with one harddrive
> - It had XP installed on the fifth partition (I don't know why) which
> showed up as the D: drive in windows.

I'd be interested in seeing the output from "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
Also, do you remember what the partition table looked like before your son
started experimenting with Linux?
Was it using a factory-installed partitioning scheme before your son's recent
experiments with Linux?

I suspect the answer is to "hide" or "remap" the other partitions in the menu
entry for WinXP.  For Lilo you use either the "map" command or the "boot-as"
command, depending on with version of LILO you are using.

Also, in general, I'd recommend grub over lilo, but you'll have to deal with this issue in either one.