[wplug] Problems with LILO

Gene Wilson etwilson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 23:18:06 EST 2004

Hello:

I'm having some problems with LILO on my sons laptop and wonder if
anyone knows what I can do to fix it.  It has XP Home and the Knoppix
install of Debian on it and LILO will let you boot into linux but not
into XP.  When I  pick XP at the menu the system just stops.  Here is
some background and some details:

- Its a Dell Inspiron 8200 with one harddrive
- It had XP installed on the fifth partition (I don't know why) which
showed up as the D: drive in windows.
- My son tried to install Fedora and failed because of a corrupted install disk.
- He then used Knoppix to install Debian.
- Fedora put LILO on the MBR, Knoppix put LILO on it.
- The /etc/lilo.conf entry for windows is:
others=/dev/hda5
    label="WinXP(hda5)"
- The windows install IS on /dev/hda5, first thing I checked.
- He's not attached to the Debian install so I used a Win98 boot disk
and "fdisk /mbr" to restore the master boot record but what this did
was to restore the GRUB boot record from the failed Fedora install
instead of the Windows MBR.  Since there is no grub.conf on the
system, this just dropped me into the GRUB shell but I never managed
to get that to boot anything.
- I re-restored the LILO MBR using a boot floppy and chroot and
/sbin/lilo but I still can only boot into Debian.

Sorry that this is so complicated but does anyone know how to get LILO
configured on this system so that it will boot both WinXP and Debian.
Or should I install GRUB on the Debian system and use that?

Gene