[wplug] Machine is locking up without a trace

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 23 13:03:09 EST 2004

Folks I have a mysterious problem which I think is
hardware-based but I can't find the problem. I've looked
around but haven't a lead.

Running Gentoo, Kernel 2.6.7 on a Dell Inspiron 5000 (~4.5
years old).

In short, the machine just stops. This happened first while
running X, but it has also happened when an X session has
not been started.

I've looked in /var/log/messages and the X logs but haven't
found anything at all.

e2fsck and reiserfsck show that my fs are OK.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

And yes, I have backed things up.

SFK

--
Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu