[wplug] Somewhat pointless question re: XEmacs fill function

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Mon Nov 22 12:23:48 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:19:38AM +0800, cdemarco at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Hi all... any Lisp  hackers  out there?  I  write bulleted  lists like
> this:
>
>   - here is an item
>   - here is another item
>   - let's see who  can guess the pattern of  what comes next?  Another
>     item, you say?
>   - ding ding ding! we have a winner!
>
> Lines  which follow  the bullet  are indented  with the  text, not the
> bullet.
>
> XEmacs  binds M-q to  "fill-paragraph-or-region" which, with a numeric
> prefix,  munges    the   spacing so    that  the   affected   text  is
> block-justified   (like this paragraph is).   It's  very nice, but the
> function indents  lines after the bullet  to the bullet itself, not to
> the text:
>
>   - here  is a  bulleted  item which spans multiple-lines,  a frequent
>   occurrence for an overly-verbose writer.

Try using text-mode with auto-fill turned on.  The auto-fill causes
subsequent lines to be indented past the bullet to the same column
where the preceding line's text starts, and M-q (bound to
fill-paragraph) respects the initial indentation of that second line
and applies it to all subsequent lines when filling the paragraph.

This is in GNU Emacs, not XEmacs, so YMMV.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u