[wplug] Somewhat pointless question re: XEmacs fill function

cdemarco at fastmail.fm cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 21 21:19:38 EST 2004

>> This email  assumes you're using a  monospace font.  Variable-width
>> fonts will not properly display what I've got below.

Hi all... any Lisp  hackers  out there?  I  write bulleted  lists like
this:

  - here is an item
  - here is another item
  - let's see who  can guess the pattern of  what comes next?  Another
    item, you say?
  - ding ding ding! we have a winner!

Lines  which follow  the bullet  are indented  with the  text, not the
bullet.

XEmacs  binds M-q to  "fill-paragraph-or-region" which, with a numeric
prefix,  munges    the   spacing so    that  the   affected   text  is
block-justified   (like this paragraph is).   It's  very nice, but the
function indents  lines after the bullet  to the bullet itself, not to
the text:

  - here  is a  bulleted  item which spans multiple-lines,  a frequent
  occurrence for an overly-verbose writer.

So I'm sure I can hack the fill-* function,  but my Lisp is limited to
bad Sylvester Pussycat routines ;-b Any Lisp hackers out there who can
point me   towards the mountain,  or  typographic  fools  who know  of
pre-existing code to do this?

Please, nobody  try to flog TeX  off  on me; this is  a plaintext-only
query ;)

TIA...

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
Christopher DeMarco <cdemarco at fastmail.fm>