[wplug] ALSA, Audigy, and Audio CDs

Hagbard Celine hceline at fnordnet.net
Fri Nov 19 15:48:40 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:54:03PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in November Hagbard Celine assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | Putting two and two together, it *looks* as if the Audigy under ALSA isn't
> | paying attention to the signals coming over the little grey cable from the CD
> | drive.  Do I have to kick the sound card in the ass to get it to listen to the
> | drive, or is this a limitation of ALSA?  I surely can fix it either way, but
> | I'm interested in knowing if anyone knows *which* way, to give me something of
> | a head start...
>
> This is not really an answer, but a possible solution. Perhaps you can get
> the device to play through the data cable (digital versus analog?). I
> believe I've seen players in windows which can do this. You could make it a
> command line switch playcd.

If I understand you correctly, you mean taking the bits off the IDE cable with
raw reads?  That's one possible solution I'm considering.  I was just wondering
if anyone knew whether an ALSA setup would also listen to the audio signal.
I'd prefer the latter, as it's likely less work, but I'll do the former, if
need be.

Hagbard