[wplug] ALSA, Audigy, and Audio CDs

Hagbard Celine hceline at fnordnet.net
Fri Nov 19 17:23:45 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:50:43PM -0500, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> Is this an Audigy or Audigy 2 sound card?

Plain old Audigy.  I bought it new about four years ago.

> Is the CD audio connected via analog or digital connection?

Analog.  It worked that way with OSS, and I didn't change anything...

> If you are using the digital connection, use ALSA mixer to set the volume
> level for the Audigy CD control (way over on the right side of the mixer) as
> opposed to the normal CD volume control (near the middle of the mixer).
> Other mixers (such as qa-mix, kmix, etc.) don't seem to include this control.

Your comments got me looking at the output of amixer again.  Scrolling up and
down a bit, via less, showed me both the CD and Audigy CD controls.  One at a
time, I ran them both to 100%, and even unmuted the CD control.  No dice.

Looks like I'll look through the alsaplayer source code to see what *it* does
(which is likely raw reads to a buffer, then play from the buffer via a library
function).  As I say, I'm not allergic to that; I was just hoping for a path of
less work :)

Hagbard