[wplug] [OT] - suggestions on MB upgrade

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Nov 6 10:49:07 EST 2004

Dear group,

I know this is not a hardware list, but knowing "yinz guz" I'm sure you
will have some suggestions/info.

My current desktop system is a 500MHz Debian Woody box. With X-Mas
coming, I want to (finally) upgrade the processor/MB/RAM.  I went to a
few sites to find MB/CPU combos, and found all these different CPU
sockets that I was unaware of.  (socket 478, 754, 775, 940 etc)
I guess I am showing my age a-bit on this one.  What are the differences
between the different sockets -- besided the obvious you can't put
processor XYZ into a socket for ABC.

As you can imagine from my current MB, I don't have any major
requirements for a MB --
	1) Low cost
	2) 2+ GHz processor
	3) 256+ MB RAM
	4) PS/2 mouse & keyboard
	5) Built in Sound (that works with Linux)
	6) A few USB ports (2 or 3 are plenty)
	7) No need for build in NIC or Video (but seem like most have it now)
           I already have an acceptible NIC and NVidia Card.

So are there any difference between sockets, and does anyone have a
suggestions/good experience with particular MBs?  Any
insight/comments/suggestions will be greatly appricaited...

Kevin