[wplug] samba-like access "From the outside"

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Mar 26 14:19:29 EST 2004

Now that 301south.net is actually a multi-user (well, two-user) system I
would like to change a couple things -- I have setup my home computer
(Windows) to mount my home directory on login via samba.  That's secure
because the SMB ports are blocked on the outside-world ethernet interface,
but not the internal one.  What I'd like to do is enable remote users to
connect to their home directories without opening holes in my firewall for
the SMB ports.

The only thing I can think of so far is setting up SSH tunneling for all
the SMB ports so that once someone [in this case, my girlfriend] connects
to the system, she can then mount her home directory as a drive from a
windows computer.  Is there a better way to do this?  Will this even work?

-Brandon