[wplug] two nics

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Mar 16 15:03:48 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 14:10, Ryan W. Frenz wrote:
> I have two NICs for my laptop, running Gentoo.  I'm trying to set it up
> such that I can use any combination of one or both without confusing the
> system.  I want the regular NIC to be eth0, configured statically, and
> the wireless to be eth1, configured with dhcp.  If I boot with only one
> card inserted, the system tries to configure it as eth0 (statically) no
> matter which it is.  Is there any way to specify which card belongs to
> which interface?  I thought that modules.conf took care of this but I
> guess not.

The problem is that ethernet devices are numbered by the order in which
they appear to the system, the order in which the device drivers are
loaded.  Since both are PCMCIA devices (I assume) then their name, eth0
or eth1, will be determined by the order in which you plug them in, and
the appropriate device is loaded.

With some wireless cards, you can supply a module parameter that will
tell it to use a name other than 'eth', such as 'wvlan'.  What kind of
PCMCIA cards are you using?  Are you using gentoo's pcmcia-cs package?

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>