[wplug] phplot problems

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Mon Mar 15 15:37:26 EST 2004

From: http://www.boutell.com/gd/faq.html

"When will you put GIF support back into gd?

Many have asked whether gd will support reading and creating GIF files
again, since we have passed June 20th, 2003, when the well-known Unisys
LZW patent expired in the US. Although this patent has expired in the
United States, this patent does not expire for another year in the rest of
the world. Since I have no way of limiting distribution of
GIF-reading-and-creating code to US users only that is guaranteed to
please somebody else's lawyer, I have opted to follow the same policy that
the ImageMagick authors are following: GIF support will not reappear in gd
until the patent expires world-wide on July 7th, 2004. I realize this
situation is frustrating for many; please direct your anger and complaints
toward the questionable patent system that allows the patenting of such
straightforward algorithms in the first place. Thank you!"

Older versions of GD still have GIF support.  The libraries are still out
there if you wish to compile them yourself.

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]