[wplug] Email disappearing/not accessible via KMail

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Mar 3 09:07:57 EST 2004

Edward Bosco wrote:
> All -
>
> I've an odd problem with emails coming off the Earthlink.net account not
> showing up in KMail.
>
> I'm running SuSE 8.2, with Konqueror as browser and KMail as email client.
>
> I got some messages from people, that sent me email that I'd never saw in the
> KMail inbox. When I open a console window and invoke the unix program 'mail',
> I see some messages in that inbox that I hadn't seen in KMail.
>
> I haven't seen anything via a google search that sheds light on this. I'm not
> seeing a clear path to get those emails requeued toso I can access them via
> KMail.

Are you using POP3 with both of those clients?  If so, the UNIX mail is
downloading the emails from the server and they no longer exist when Kmail
checks for new mail.

Otherwise, are these emails that are being sent to the local UNIX user account?
Check the headers, these messages may never have gotten out onto the Internet
at all.  Are they system status emails?  If so, most Posix systems email system
status messages to the local root account by default.  You'll have to reconfigure
your maintenance routines to email to your Internet account.

Those are the two most likely causes of the problem.  If you want more detailed
answers, you'll have to provide more details of your setup (i.e. POP3 vs. IMAP,
example headers from problem emails, etc)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies