[wplug] authenticating pop3 server with NIS

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Jul 30 17:03:40 EDT 2004

I have a server running debian sid. I can ssh to the server as a user in
our NIS domain and login without any problems. When I try to get a pop3
client to authenticate with the server I get the following:

Jul 30 16:54:41 server in.qpopper[7922]: apop "myuser" [pop_apop.c:214] Jul
30 16:54:41 server in.qpopper[7922]: myuser at server (136.142.178.208):
-ERR [SYS/TEMP] POP authentication DB not available (user myuser): No such
file or directory (2) [pop_apop.c:249]

where myuser is a user that exsits and can login using ssh. So I know NIS
is working, but the error above suggests that qpopper isn't really using
nis. I'm not really clear how pam works, but from reading on the net it
appears that it provides some unified method for authentication. The pam.d
entry for qpopper is:

cat /etc/pam.d/qpopper
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_unix_auth.so shadow
account    required     pam_unix_acct.so

Frankly, I'm not sure what this means. Should I change it to something?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E