Dell laptops vs. Thinkpads (was RE: [wplug] eMachines? )

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 13:47:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Vanco, Don wrote:

> wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> > Quick afterthought though, I have heard some new ThinkPads don't play
> > nice with ACPI, which could be a problem for running Linux.

I've got a Dell inspiron 2650 (1.6Ghz Celeron, 32M Nvidia, 256M RAM) that
I picked up new for $650.  It's a behemoth at 8 pounds or so, but it's
been very reliable for me for the year or so that I've owned it now.  In
fact, it's been my main computer at work for the past 6 months and I've
had no troubles with the hardware except for the ACPI support.  It's
getting there, but I still can't suspend properly for instance.  It used
to sort of work with an earlier kernel, but the fans kept running.  As of
the 2.6 kernel at least I've got a working battery monitor, and I've got
throttling working but that seems to be more suited to a server.  On the
other hand, it's great to have as an extra computer for lan gaming- it
runs Warcraft III (Winex) and NWN (Native/SDL) very nicely.

I've also owned a few thinkpads in my day, although no recent ones.  I
still have an older 200Mhz Pentium thinkpad with no cdrom or floppy drive
on board.  It's light as a feather at only 4 pounds and it makes a great
terminal to lug around.  APM support worked perfectly.

So there you go.  The Dell laptop was quite a bargain, but I've had
compatibility issues and the thing is very heavy to lug around.  Someone
said that the Thinkpad was worth the extra money, but a) I didn't *have*
that kind of money at the time and b) this laptop, minor irritations

Bryguy