[wplug] eMachines?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jan 29 10:26:54 EST 2004

Ryan Brown wrote:
> This is true. After reaching a certain sales volume someone at Dell
> contacted me about their priority support that I "qualified" for. I have
> never had a problem yet, so I do not know how their phone support for
> priority vs normal is. I did have a 1650 that was recalled due to a
> malfunction on the motherboard which caused it to fry, but Dell contacted me
> about this and scheduled a replacement rather than me calling in.

I've seen both these scenerios from Dell.  My former room mate had a Dell,
and when it went nuts, support was useless (He's a fairly clueless computer
user).  I ended up fixing the problem for him.  Fact is, there was no
fix, Windows had gone nuts and needed reinstalled, but he needed to back
up his files first and couldn't, and Dell told him that was his problem,
their support didn't cover it.

On the flip side, my brother James works for Kennametal often, and they
buy _all_ Dell, and he has _nothing_ good to say about Dell computers or
their support.  Keep in mind, however, that he's being called in when
the Dell computers break and standard support fails, so his experience
with this is a bit biased.

Personally, I would never buy a Dell unless I couldn't build the machine
myself.  (May end up buying a lappy from them) but if I were going to
purchase a pre-built machine, and for some reason it couldn't be a Mac,
I would probably go Dell.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies