[wplug] eMachines?

Ryan W. Frenz rfrenz at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 29 10:36:42 EST 2004

Personally, I would never buy a Dell unless I couldn't build the machine
myself.  (May end up buying a lappy from them)

As far as laptops go, in my experience IBMs are well worth the extra
money.  Most dells are exactly what they claim -- "desktop replacements"
-- if you plan on actually being mobile with it, I haven't seen them
hold up too well.  Mostly dumb problems like floating pointers, keys
getting stuck, etc.  Example -- I've had an IBM thinkpad for 5 years
now.  I've never had one hardware issue with it.  My brother has had a
Dell Inspiron 8100 for 1.5 years, and he's had: a fried mobo, dead USB
controller out of the box, and a floppy drive that stopped working.  You
might not be getting cheaper parts per se, but with a Dell you
definitely get cheaper construction.

Ryan