[wplug] Laptop Crashing

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 20 03:05:19 EST 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 03:29, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
<snip>
> I found something.  In /usr/src/linux/make menuconfig - under the APM
> setting, there's an option called "Allow interrupts during APM BIOS
> calls", which my kernel has excluded.  The 'help' says:
>
> "CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS: Allow Interrupts during APM BIOS calls
> Normally we disable external interrupts while we are making calls to
> the APM BIOS as a measure to lessen the effects of a badly behaving
> BIOS implementation.  The BIOS should reenable interrupts if it needs
> to. Unfortunately, some BIOSes do not -- especially those in many of
> the newer IBM Thinkpads.  If you experience hangs when you suspend,
> try setting this to Y.  Otherwise, say N."
>
> Sounds like a good thing to try.  So is it possible to add it to my
> kernel (it's not modular) without recompiling the whole bloody thing?

Unfortunately no. In my machine this option is turned off, too.

> (By the way, I'm not using ACPI.)

Good.

But finding the cause of crashes in the kernel is a pretty slim chance -
as others suggested, it seems to be an application software mishap.
Something that tries to execute right before going to sleep or right
after, maybe?

Each time I wake mine up, I see the following device initialization
messages in /var/log/messages:
Jan 20 09:49:59 debian kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.5
Jan 20 09:49:59 debian kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1f.3
Jan 20 09:49:59 debian kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1f.6
Jan 20 09:49:59 debian kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 02:00.1
Jan 20 09:50:00 debian kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: CRY54
(Unknown)

If something goes wrong there, it can certainly screw things up.

-A