[wplug] Laptop Crashing

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Jan 19 20:29:20 EST 2004

> Bah, my T23 fares pretty well under Linux.
>
> > Is it safe to assume that your "custom kernel" has ACPI
> > tweaks in it? (don't think the T23 played nice with APM at all)
>
> It plays just fine with APM (not ACPI).
> It can
> + turn off its monitor
> + use the builtin keyboard light
> + poweroff completely (ATX style)
> + go to sleep

I found something.  In /usr/src/linux/make menuconfig - under the APM
setting, there's an option called "Allow interrupts during APM BIOS
calls", which my kernel has excluded.  The 'help' says:

"CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS: Allow Interrupts during APM BIOS calls
Normally we disable external interrupts while we are making calls to the
APM BIOS as a measure to lessen the effects of a badly behaving BIOS
implementation.  The BIOS should reenable interrupts if it needs to.
Unfortunately, some BIOSes do not -- especially those in many of the newer
IBM Thinkpads.  If you experience hangs when you suspend, try setting this
to Y.  Otherwise, say N."

Sounds like a good thing to try.  So is it possible to add it to my kernel
(it's not modular) without recompiling the whole bloody thing?

(By the way, I'm not using ACPI.)

-brandon