[wplug] Continuing saga of rh9 on IBM X31

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 20:18:59 EST 2004

Actually, if you've installed gnome as your desktop (the default), when
you right click on an empty part of your desktop you'll get a list of
options, one of which is "disks".  There should be a cd-rom entry there,
and you can click it to mount/eject the cdrom.  This is the simplest linux
desktop method I know of for this purpose.

Slightly off topic: New versions of Nautilus (the gnome file manager, akin
to windows explorer, better known as "windows that have files and folders
in them") now have a "burn:///" option that opens a window for writing
cd-r's whenever you insert a blank cd-r or cd-rw.  It's a nice little
touch that ought to make burning data cd's easier for people.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an option for burning downloaded iso
images, so you still have to use the command line for your distro burning
but for backups/etc it's very useful.  Pleasant surprise.

Bryon

ps - One exception to the Gnome disk controller advice above- if you
originally mounted the cdrom as root, then log in as a normal user, the
normal user will most likely not have the appropriate permissions to
unmount/eject the cdrom and it will pop up an error message.  If you
mounted the cd as root you'll have to unmount it as root using the command
line "umount /mnt/cdrom" assuming your cd is mounted at /mnt/cdrom (which
is the redhat default if memory serves).