[wplug] dumb question of the day? how do I name a machine in rh9?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Jan 8 15:03:44 EST 2004

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would that I could just show up at the install fest for all of this.
> <sigh>
>
> So, my dumb question. Now that I have the basic rh9 installed (and am
> tweaking with updates, etc), did I somehow miss a step to net
> the name
> of the machine as it would be recognized on, say the CMU network? I
> have been requested to give it a specific name (basically in CMU CS
> naming convention if that makes sense).
>
> Thanks too to Beth Lynn for burning disks for me to enable to loading
> of this unit!!!

Method one: (if you get an address via DHCP)
	Contact your network administrator and have them make it part of
your DHCP information
	(or follow method two)

Method Two:
	redhat-config-network

	There is a tab to assign hostname.

	If/when either one or two is completed:  "service network restart"

	If you do this in X, exit immediately and restart X to avoid
"interesting behavior".

Don