[wplug] GNU Linux

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Feb 17 18:55:09 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 18:07, Bryon Gill wrote:
> You are wrong.
>
> When referring to the kernel itself RMS believes it's appropriate to say
> "Linux".
>
> When referring to a GNU system that uses a Linux kernel, he believes it's
> appropriate to call it "GNU/Linux".
>
> It's not everywhere, everytime.  He doesn't say you can't use it if you
> don't call it what he calls it.  He's just politely asking for credit as
> the star of this show, and if you disagree with him just don't call it
> that.  No reason to throw a tantrum about it on EITHER side.

The problem is that he's not particularly polite.  He starts flame wars
on the linux kernel mailing list about it, he makes outrageous demands
if someone asks him to speak (as in the Portland group), and he comes
off as a very idealistic, but not very realistic guy.  I really can't
agree with you when you consider this 'polite'.

> He's not a fanatic, he's got principles.  There is a very significant
> difference.  Most of the RMS bashing out there is poorly-informed
> groupthink.
>
> Bryon

It's funny that you should say that, because I often think of the GNU
folks as one of the biggest offenders of groupthink in the open-source
world.  Sometimes using GNU tools or the GPL license *isn't* in the best
interest of a person or company.  It's so bad now that license politics
has been *written into the linux kernel*.

jonathan