[wplug] Will the real WPLUG please take charge

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Feb 17 11:29:37 EST 2004

Hello,

I do believe I owe all of you folks an apology.

An outsider was attempting put together a project where folks would be
giving away Open Source CDs. When he came to me, he seemed to have a real
concrete plan that was legal and a peaceful demonstration. It was never
the intension to disrupt or destroy Mr. Gates's talk. Of course it
would not be productive to force someone to take a free CD so the idea
was to politely move on if anyone declined. If at any time we'd be asked
to leave, we would go immediately. If someone was to act foolishly they
would be doing so as an individual and certainly not a representative of
WPLUG. It would be rather stupid to do something illegal since there
will be campus police about making sure only invited parties attend. At
first the organizer was claiming all he needed is a few extra people
to help and perhaps some cash to buy CD-rs. I agreed to solicit volunteers
from WPLUG. Next thing I know the organizer bails out and I'm left here
standing like a fool. Live and Learn.

What I'm about to say is the truth. I would have never had suggested that
anyone do anything illegal or dangerous. I personally do not endorse and
use of force, violence, or abuse of resources to make a statement. In
fact I knew that someone was planning on doing something along those lines
would tell urge this person not to attend. Of course no good would
come out of doing anything of the sort. (What is happened regarding the
MyDoom worm is indeed illegal and is costing innocent people time and money.
But I'd rather not explore this tangent any further.)

I never made it clear that this wasn't an official board endorsed WPLUG
activity. I was attempting to find others that would help in this common
goal as an individual. Perhaps this is an abuse of power on my part so I
hope you all would accept my sincerest apology.

It is my impression that the overall goal of the now defunct "mission"
was well received. I still don't see the harm in offering free Open
Source foo to the masses but this is not the time or place.

The greatest complaint I've heard lately about WPLUG is the lack of
advertising, press presence, and general Open Source activism.  I thought
this would be a fun way to accomplish all of the above. It may be too
unprofessional, so let's plan something that is professional, shall we?

Once I found out about the KGB thing. I decided that it was best for us
to bow out of any "mission" and let these kids have their fun. I wanted
to be able to give a chance of anyone who was genuinely interested in
this project to know that there's another outlet in which they can direct
their energy if they so choose. I met these KGB folks and asked them if it
would be OK if other interested parties would be invited to take part if
the festivities. I explained that some WPLUG people were going to do
something but the organizer had bailed out on us. They said they'd be
delighted to have more geeks around. I sincerely did not want to offend
anyone by forwarding on this invitation. I plan on going but it will be
in no way shape or form a WPLUG event but a KGB event that is open to the
public. Besides which, KGB is not any political group of any sort, they're
just a group of geeks that want to have some fun together. Anyone who wants
to give me stuff to take to the KBG event is welcome to do so.

All I can say is I'm sorry this whole thing failed so miserably. The
potential fun seemed worth the risk at the time. I believe that you don't
gain anything without risk or persistence. This was an excellent learning
opportunity but I certainly did not want to give doubt to the integrity of
the institution of WPLUG. For all of this I am truly sorry.

I hope this calms all worries and we can stop flaming and get back to business.

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Board Chair