[wplug] Will the real WPLUG please take charge

Steven Leach stevenaleach at mac.com
Tue Feb 17 10:44:37 EST 2004

> 	I believe he was talking about the communist-looking retro b/w
> commercial so long ago. It was fantastic when it was aired (and only
> aired
> once), but not much came-about because of it, and few people remember
> things like this.

Well, it did set the standard for super bowl commercials.  Prior to the
1984 ad, advertisements aired during the super bowl were not expected
to be any different or more impressive than regular advertisements.
Also, as for few people remembering it, it is probably the single most
remembered advertisements of all time.  Hell, just yesterday I walked
into chemistry class (filled with a bunch of kids just out of high
school who sure as hell didn't see it live) and someone mentioned the
ad in response to the giant projector screen that had been left down in
the front of the room with the windows symbol shinning on it.  It has
been repeatedly voted one of the best ads of all time.

NPR recently devoted about a half hour to the 20th anniversary of the
event and had a guest from Apple who was responsible for its creation.
Apparently, the $2.3 Million dollar 30 second ad payed for itself in
about two days.  (which I would consider in the "much came-about"
category).

As for the "communist looking" I'm not sure what you mean.  The ad was
a reference to Orwell's book 1984 comparing IBM to a monolithic big
brother.

Oh, and after this year's super bowl commercials which were apparently
disappointing (I didn't see them so I don't know), I heard a couple
different news stories contrast them with the "1984 ad".  The ad is so
famous that they don't even need to explain further.