[wplug] open source mission hype, secrets revealed

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Mon Feb 16 23:17:58 EST 2004

Hi.

So I've been hyping some sort of open source top-secret mission over this
list for the past couple of days now.

The truth is the person who asked us to help him distribute open source to
the masses has bailed-out of the project. Sorry folks.

All is not lost!
Unbenounced to me or the organizer I was working with before, a CMU
student group by the name of KGB was planning a counter-event which involves
giving away knoppix cds. They plan on advertising this event. These folks
are happy to have any WPLUG people who would like to join them to spread open
source / anti M$ propaganda and have a geeky fun time!

Welp, the cat's out of the bag so here are the details...
Bill Gates himself will be visiting CMU for 1/2 a day on February 25.
He will be giving a talk entitled "Software Breakthroughs: Solving the Toughest
Problems in Computer Science" at Rangos Auditorium in the University
Center. If you want to know more about this talk, please read this site
http://www.mse.cs.cmu.edu/News-Gates.html

Disclaimer: Beyond this website, I know nothing else about Bill's visit to
Pittsburgh. No, I do not know Mr Gates' itinerary. No, I do not have any
"connections" to get an audience with him. No, I don't have any special
powers to get you invited to this talk. I have no authority in this arena
so please don't ask.

During the talk in a room one floor under Rangos Auditorium, the KGB folks
will be gathering. They will be handing out Knoppix CDs, playing bingo,
and having a geeky fun time. KGB would be very happy to have any
WPLUG folks who may want to show up and spread our propaganda. Plans are
still coming together on this. It is yet to be determined if anything at
all will be distributed to those who are waiting to enter the auditorium.
In fact there will be a planning meeting Wednesday Feb 18 4:30pm in Porter
A 19 for those who want to help out with this event.

If you were planning on burning Knoppix, well the more the merrier. If you
were planning on burning something else, that's cool too. We don't have to
worry about coming off "unprofessional" if we offer a few different types
of open source foo since CDs will be given away upon request. Anything
that would be left over would certainly not go to waste because it would
be great to have a large giveaway collection of open source foo for
installfests and other public appearances.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Beth Lynn