[wplug] Automate conversion from Excel to text in Linux

Embery, Nathan Nathan.Embery at crowncastle.com
Wed Feb 4 14:25:58 EST 2004

I was just looking into doing this last week. The best thing I found was the
DBD::Excel perl module. It'll let you perform sql queries over the excel
sheet just like a DB, and if your familiar with the perl DBI at all, it
should be a breeze.
The only drawback is that this is pretty slow. It takes several minutes to
connect to the excel DB with ~3000 rows. ymmv.
You also have to track down a lot of modules to get it working. I think all
I had to get were: IO-stringy, parse-excel, write-excel, dbi, dbd-excel,
parse-recdescent, ole-storage, and sql-statement.

Nate