[wplug] Since we're off topic

Edward Bosco ebosco1 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 12:54:50 EST 2004

There's yet another issue - lifetime of components and stress on those
components.

I recall a graph of time-to-failure for power supplies, that if you ran the
power supply at 60% of capacity, it would run for ages. If you ran at 85% of
capacity, the time-to-failure was greatly shortened.

I've found most power supply failures in PCs due to dust/lint fouling the
power supply fans and heatsinks.

I've also seen failures with power line surges and sags - shortly after summer
thunderstorms. I've got most of my sensitive hardware on UPSes. It's greatly
decreased the failure rate on my equipment.

--
If rulers take too much grain,
people rapidly starve.

                 - Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching