[wplug] Since we're off topic

Brian S. Woolstrum woolstrum at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 4 12:26:23 EST 2004

One thing nobody seems to be taking into consideration is
that while the overall wattage maybe a certain value, the
individual parts don't pull their power from that one
overall large source.  Instead everything gets branched
off.

To give an overly simplified example, let's say that
a 300 watt power supply is split into three branches.
One for each of 3 different voltage levels, +3.3 volts, +5
volts, and +12 volts.  And lets say that the power is
distributed equally to each of those branches, so 100 watts
on each one.  Now, say for instance that your system is
using 30 watts from the +3.3, 95 watts from the +5, and 10
watts from the +12 for a total of 135 watts.  Now you want
to add something that needs +5 volts, and is going to draw
15 watts.  We can't just say that 135+15=150 which is only
half of our 300 watt power supply so we're good.  What will
happen is there will now be 110 watts being drawn from a
branch that can only support 100 watts, and something could burn
out.  So in this case a 200 watt power supply could be
sufficient if the power were divided up slightly different.