[wplug] Since we're off topic

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:38:24 EST 2004

Sometime in February Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| >>	And what kind of CPU do you have in this? Anything over 800Mhz,
| >>your 300-watt power supply, is just not going to cut it.
| >
| >Well, it's an Athlon 2000.  What would you recommend?
|
| I think this is a little over-dramatic.  I've seen a lot of modern
| (1600gh+) computers run just dandy off 300 watt supplies.  My brother's
| is a Athlon XP2000 and it's using a 300 watt without problem.  Burns
| CDs just fine as well.

i have to agree with don on this one. i've seen 300 watt power supplies
push systems (> 1ghz) with no trouble. for example penguin computing, which
in my expirence makes solid systems, is selling dual opterons with
350 watt power supplies:

http://www.penguincomputing.com/store/altus-1000E.php

now if you have 8 hard disks in your computer, you'll probably want a
larger power supply. you really should consider the power draw of the
different pieces in your computer to determine what it is you need.

this page breaks down the different cpu's:

http://www.ezresult.com/article/CPU_power_consumption

when you figure out your wattage requirements, you can always buy what amd
suggests:

http://tinyurl.com/2sa39

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E