[wplug] Comcast internet

Dave Tremel djtremel at zbzoom.net
Tue Dec 21 21:33:06 EST 2004

Setting up a Comcast cable modem is pretty straight forward. You don't
have to install their software. My experience is that their software
causes more problems than it actually fixes.

The easiest thing to do is have the installer set up the cable modem and
test it to make sure everything is connected. From there you can set up
what ever browser you are using to access the Comcast proxy server. You
can then access the Comcast activation site which will allow you to
access your account.

I don't remember the address for the proxy server or the activation site
at the moment. I done this quite a few times though and the installer
should be able to give you this information.

If for some reason the installer does not have this information, call
Comcast tech support and they can provide you with the correct
addresses. You may be better off calling tech support anyway to get it
working. From my experience, the Comcast installers are less than
knowledgeable when it comes to getting this set up, no matter what OS
you are using.

Once you are done setting everything up you can remove the proxy server
settings and you should have internet access.

When the installer leaves, you can unplug your cable modem, set up your
router and connect everything back up. When you plug the cable modem
back in after it's connected to the router it should pick up the mac
address of the router and issue a new DHCP address.