[wplug] Comcast internet

Michael P. O Connor mpop at mikeoconnor.net
Tue Dec 21 21:09:58 EST 2004

I have a question for anyone here that has comcast for internet service.
 What do I need to know for it.  I use a linksys router right now for my
link to the net via what ever ISP is have.  I am right now going with
comcast since verizon has taken 23 days to get my DSL up and I still do
not have it, after the move (I had the phone line activated on the 29th
of last month, and they said it would be 2 weeks from that time till the
DSL would be up, it been just over 3 weeks now with no DSL)

I read that comcast is just plan dhcp, but to get it started you first
need to get the mac address of the "modem" acivated with comcast (from
what I read the guy that is going to come and install the cable stuff
tomorrow should do this) then I need to get some cc id for the Host
Name.  I have also read that there is some way to do this with out the
installation CD.  I have also read that the installation CD that they
use also installs some spy ware, so tomorrow I will not have any Macs or
windows boxes around, the macs will be hiddin and the only Windows box
will be booted with Knoppix.

But what do I do to get this CC number for the Host ID?  I was told over
the phone today by their tech support that there will be no problem with
me just using Linux.

I will apperciate any infomation any one can give me.
--
Michael P. O'Connor
mpop at mikeoconnor.net
http://www.mikeoconnor.net