[wplug] Portable MP3 players. Any not require software?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 20 14:27:04 EST 2004

Sometime in December Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Is there any portable MP3 player that doesn't require additional software
| in order to use?  One that perhaps you can simply mount and cp files over
| to?
|
| If not, anyone have suggestion based on personal expereince which models
| are the EASIEST to use?  (Wan't one for my wife who's not very Linux
| literate, but that's all we have in the house.)

I use a neuros [1], and I'm pretty happy with it. You do have to use
software to build the db, but there are at least two command line programs
that work under linux that I know of. Typically I:

 1 mount the drive
 2 copy files to /mnt/neuros/music
 3 sync the db

This device is larger than say an ipod, but it has lots of features (record
to flac (fm, integrated mic, external mic), broadcast fm, supports ogg,
etc.).  However, I don't really use many of them. It's very open [2] if you
like that kind of thing --- one of the reasons that I got one. They also
let you trade in your old units to upgrade cheaper.

I have had some trouble with mine, like not shutting down all the way. In
their defense, I haven't really invested the time in their message boards
to figure this out. I should take this opportunity to plug the message
boards. Their employees frequent them and help out with any problems the
users encounter.

To upgrade the firmware you only have to copy a file to a specified place
and I believe hold down a couple things when it's booting up.

[1] http://neurosaudio.com/
[2] http://open.neurosaudio.com/

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E