[wplug] mysql compile failure

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at comcast.net
Mon Dec 6 21:15:47 EST 2004

I encountered during a compilation that I don't understand. As it
happens, it was mysql-4.1.7 on SuSE9.0, but my question is what does
this error mean. The wording it uses is bizarre:

../cmd-line-utils/libedit/libedit.a(readline.o)(.text+0x1a34): In
function `username_completion_function':
: Using 'getpwent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime
the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

There were several similar errors.

1. Does it actually mean: If you use 'getpwent' in statically linked
applications, then the shared libraries from the glibc version used for
linking are required at runtime. And presumably it is throwing an error
because they are not? But then why is the error not thrown at runtime
but at compilation time?

2. Can anyone throw a little light on this for me? As in, should I
expect the shared libraries to be available and how should I go about
investigating why they are not available?

Thanks,
Duncan Hutty