[wplug] Ethernet Full Duplex Problem

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Aug 29 13:46:52 EDT 2004

Sometime in August Ken Rambler assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I have two RH9.0 servers running, one is the firewall and the other a
| file server. My Windows 2000 box on the LAN and the file server are set
| to full duplex and transfer fine. The FW however is only half duplex. If
| I try to force it full, I get very poor performance (transfer).
|
| The FW log file reports...
| Kernel: eth1: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
| Kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch
| Kernel: Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 1925(5) current 192(5)
| Kernel: Transmit list 00000000 vs. db562340.
|
| The eth1 card is a 3Com 10/100 PCI card (3c95x)
|
| Any ideas??

I've had problems where a computer would switch back and forth between full
and half duplex, and also have really poor network performance. It turned
out to be a bad network cable. By replacing the ends it fixed it.

Just a thought.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E