[wplug] recovering data from failed scsi device?

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Tue Aug 10 12:36:53 EDT 2004

One of the most important parts of the procedure is the removal and
re-insertion of the cables and interface cards; relocating the drive to a
new location in another SCSI system sometimes does the trick, too.
Re-seating of heat-distended components and cards has always been a first
attempt in such cases. Using a different cable connector, and/or a
different controller card are part of the repertoire.

for such purpose.

                      Tom Rhodes
                      <trhodes                  To:      salm at servanttechnology.com, General user list
                      @freebsd.org>             <wplug at wplug.org>
                      Sent by:                  cc:
                      wplug-bounces+bre         Subject: Re: [wplug] recovering data from failed scsi device?
                      any=csc.com

                      08/10/2004 12:14
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      General user list

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:55:10 -0400
Sal Mangiapane <salm at servanttechnology.com> wrote:

> The files will be frozen so handle with care :)
>
> techmike wrote:
> > How has the drive failed?  Most of mine that fail cease to spin up..
> >
> > If thats the case, stick the drive in a gallon ziplock bag, get all the
> > air you can out and stick it in the freezer overnight.
> >
> > With the drive still cold, power it up and see if it spins..  Sometimes
> > will buy you a few hours to back it up..

Does that actually work?  I thought that either I or my friend
was on crack when he told me about that.  I've never tried
it because I do regular back ups of important data.

> Servant Technology, Inc
> 1376 North Tower Road
> FOMBELL, PA 16123
>
> Direct:          724-758-3981
> Mobile: 724-263-6569
> E-Mail: salm at servanttechnology.com

Hey, Fombell, you live pretty damn close to me haha.

--
Tom Rhodes