[wplug] partitioning

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Fri Apr 30 14:33:00 EDT 2004

I used to put
/boot
/var
/home
/usr
/opt
/usr/local
swap
and /
in their own partitions and then mount /usr, /opt, and /usr/local as read
only.

This was to help protect the system in the event of a power failure.

Now I run reiserfs and use a UPS with cable to the PC to protect the files.

I only partition
/
/home
and swap.

Some may worry about log files filling up / this way so you may want /var to
be on it's own.

The above setup serves me well as I don't have to worry about installing new
packages and running out of space in /opt or /usr.

And my /home is protected if I need to reinstall the OS or replace it with
another version.

I don't trust using LVM as I'm afraid corruptions to the filesystem may not be
repairable (my information may be out of date on this).
This would be a way of having muliple partitions that can be resized as
needed.

Thanks,

Bob