[wplug] partitioning

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Apr 30 11:05:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 10:53, PGHConsult Lists wrote:
> So in my scheme which would be considered OS and user data?
>
> /, /tmp, and /boot  - OS Data?
> /usr, /var, /home - User Data?
>
> I'm guessing I can eliminate /boot and the files will just be left in /. Can
> I then combine the 3 user partitions into one?
>
> Arnaud-

In my experience, the only place that stores persistant user data is
/home, or wherever the user's home directory lives.  /usr has only OS
data, easily replicated through an install.  I'd not want to back up
/var unless the system being backed up was a server that stored data
there, otherwise you're only backing up 1.) temporary lock files and
ephemeral data or 2.) system databases (such as RPM's db) which is
better replicated by another install.

We have a process that runs every night that copies "useful" files in
/etc and elsewhere into a directory that is backed up.  These files are
useful outside of backups.... it provides evidence of a state change
too.

I should admit that we try to back up only the important data, others in
a smaller environment might not mind backing up OS data.  We've found
that it is far simpler to reproduce the OS through another install than
restore from backups, because we maintain a very quick and simple
install mechanism, and every system we build and support is nearly
identical when first installed.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>