[wplug] partitioning

PGHConsult Lists lists at pghconsult.com
Fri Apr 30 08:59:55 EDT 2004

Ok, so I'm used to Redhat which partitions everything for you and now I'm
installing Debian which does not. I'm looking for a little advice on how to
best partition the HD. It's a 20GB disk and this machine will be used to run
4 or 5 network apps. No users other than myself. Here's what I've come up
with so far.

Swap - 1GB
/ - 500 MB
/usr - 9 GB
/tmp - 100 MB
/home - 200 MB
/var - 9 GB
/boot - 20 MB

I realize that some of these values are rather large given my requirements
but I'm also trying to get an idea of how others partition their servers for
general use. Should some values stay static (i.e. 20 MB for boot) while
others consume a % of available disk space (i.e. 30% for /var)?

As always all help is appreciated.

Arnaud-