[wplug] post to nntp in PINE?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Apr 30 10:57:17 EDT 2004

> Sometime in April Brandon Kuczenski assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | What's really frustrating is, this isn't even the core problem -- the core
> | problem is a LaTeX question that I don't know how to answer and was hopign
> | to post it to a newsgroup.  And the paper is due tomorrow.... ARRRGH!!
>
> whats the latex problem? perhaps someone here can help.

I have a caption under a figure.  The figure is about 11 cm wide but the
caption fills the whole width page.  I would like to justify the caption
under the figure.

I tried \usepackage{caption2} which supports that, but simply including it
in the preamble without any other changes to the file produces errors:

! Undefined control sequence.
\@makecaption #1#2->\vskip \abovecaptionskip
                                             \realcaptionwidth \linewidth \d...
l.161 TRAILING CAPTION TEXT. }

and other similar and/or consequential errors.

I don't see anything in the docs suggesting that caption2 shouldn't work
right off the bat.

The document compiles fine without caption2 included.  Hmm, I should have
mentioned tht explicitly in my newsgroup post -- the regulars on that list
are downright vicious over RTFM-type answers and implied incompetence.

I also tried achieving the same result using low-level commands {\hsize
11cm \caption{ ...} }.  That changed the width of the caption, but it was
no longer centered under the figure (even in a \begin{center}
environment).  I am very new to low-level TeX stuff, so I would appreciate
insight here as well, if you have any to offer.

Thanks for reading,
Brandon