[wplug] Which distribution to start with?

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 20:52:37 EDT 2004

Hi Ted. Welcome back to the 'PENGUIN WORLD'... I have tried and used
most of the distro's available. They all will work quite nicely, well
at least for my hardware. IMHO, Redhat is an enterprise styled distro
with a lot of 'eye candy' added so you can get the personal touch.
This IS good! I like Mandrake myself! With the pre-compiled install at
the i586 level, it seems to move along faster than Redhat's... BUT,
this makes no real difference when you have intentions of compiling
the whole install to Athlon and/or i686 or for the 64 bit
architecture. When you have a need and that need is for speed, then
you take the time... :)

Now that I have given you what I see coming out of the gate, both of
these distro's have there own plus sides. The use of apt/yum in Redhat
is nice and fairly quick, but no real way of seeing what is available
you may want to install. Mandrake's distro has this ability based upon
your install CD(s). The other thing I see is that Redhat has
everything on their sites to DL that isn't caught up in the enterprise
install. Mandrake on the other hand will give a good install
selection, but not everything available.You need to purchase the
install CD(s) to get online access to other software. Redhat now is
starting to remind me of M$UCK with their price, while Mandrake has
kept the low end install reasonable. With 'Fedora' being Redhat's FREE
version while Mandrake has their 'Community' install.

All in all, when you DL either of these distro's, you get enough to
wet your appetite and leave you wanting MORE... Once everything is
compiled to YOUR hardware needs, they both work well and are stable!
Hunting software for either, pre-bundled in rpm format, leaves the
same flavor in your mouth. Then again, what makes the difference when
you are going to (re)compile that program to your own needs!!! They
are both EASY to install...

With the last two statements I made, nearly any of the distro's will
do what you want. The rest is in your hardware choice, God and your
hands, in that order and the latter being supreme! I have a working
Redhat 9, Fedora FC2 and Mandrake Community 10 installs recompiled and
stable. The difference I see, IMHO, is in the 'EYE CANDY' within the
GUI's and the games/toys... If you like more games/toys from the get
go then Mandrake rulez...

Tux under any other name is still "THE GREATEST PENGUIN ON EARTH"!

Just my 2¢ worth Ted...
Frank