[wplug] Setting up environment variables

Jay wplug at caldron.com
Thu Apr 8 19:09:26 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:15:34PM -0700, rm wrote:

> My exported e variable are in the ~username/.bashrc
> file.  IIRC .bashrc is the last file read on startup
> for a given user.
>
> SOMETHING='something'
>
> EXPORT SOMETHING
>
> Just to be on the safe side, you might want to enclose
> the variable def in single quotes
>
> ken
>

> > executed before XFree86 gdm login.  I placed the
> > command in the following places:
> > ~/.bash_profile
> > /etc/profile
> > /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm
> > /etc/init.d/gdm
> > Currently, it was necessary for me to disable gdm
> > login and use startx
> > from the shell to get the environment variables into
> > X.
> > Would someone please advise me.
> > Thanks for the help.
> > Jay

I tried before to include the environment variable in ~/.bashrc only it
does not set up the variable before X is started.  I need to know the
place in Debian that initiates the environmental variable before
starting my gdm login screen.  I tried placing the variable in
/etc/rc2.d/S99gdm only it didn't work.
Jay