[wplug] Re: Update openoffice

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Apr 7 17:51:56 EDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, "PGHConsult Lists" <lists at pghconsult.com> wrote:

> installation from the CD so doing an rpm -q shows it is version 1.0.2-4. I
> see that Openoffice 1.1.1 is out and I would like to update. I am unable to
> find an rpm for this new version so I cannot just rpm -U and update it. My
> question is if I download the source and install that way will I then have 2
> copies of openoffice on my system or will it update the files in the default
> installation directory? Should I uninstall the rpm first?

My Mandrake system came with 1.0.1.  The files for it are located in
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/.  I recently installed 1.1 using OOo's
installer (not RPMs), and its files were put into
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1/.  Then it was just a matter of using the
menu editor to make the menu items in KDE, GNOME, etc. point to the new
programs in /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1/program/.  I didn't even bother
removing the older version.